The very highly developed technologies that are used to treat infertility are geared to providing services to couples in countries where salaries and living standards are high, or where public funding or health insurance cover some of the cost of treatment. Modern Assisted Reproductive Technology (ART) treatments involve the use of expensive drugs to stimulate egg production, costly consumables and sophisticated laboratory equipment. Most clinics are run in the private sector and salaries for specialist gynecologists, endocrinologists, laboratory and, nursing staff, counsellors, management and financial advisors contribute to the high cost of ART. These costs need to be recovered from patients, so conventional ART is therefore unattainable for most couples in developing countries.
We want to promote the provision of simplified clinical IVF services for a minimal cost that will allow couples, who could otherwise not afford it, access to IVF treatment for their infertility. We aim to demonstrate that the material costs for a cycle of IVF can be less than 200 €. We seek to identify donors that will provide funds to establish Low Cost IVF Clinics in low resource economies where having a child greatly improves the social status of a of woman and reduces her risk of being rejected from her family and community and left destitute. The costs will vary from country to country, but our objective is to minimize costs to make treatment affordable to a much greater number of people.
To reduce the burden of childlessness among couples in resource constrained countries.
– Establishing Low Cost IVF Clinics at several sites in low resource countries and ensures that local clinicians and scientists who are identified as key personnel receive adequate training.
– Nominating one or more observers for each site to provide expert advice, ensure that established protocols are followed, and monitor success rates for the simplified procedures.
– Promoting an education program for awareness of reproductive health forms an integral part of the established Low Cost IVF Clinics. This program is aimed at improving couples’ knowledge about reproductive processes, infectious diseases, and safe sex practices.
We offer different possibilities for donor support.
‘Adopt a clinic’
Large and well resourced IVF centres are encouraged to ‘Adopt a clinic’. One we identify a suitable site for a new Low Cost IVF Clinic and local key personnel to run it, any willing IVF centre can nominate to ‘adopt’ the clinic by providing equipment, training, technical expertise and support.
We warmly welcome financial contributions from corporations, companies and individuals.
Any kind of functioning laboratory equipment or ultrasound machine can be donated to a Low Cost IVF Clinic. We will advise where a particular piece of equipment is needed and the donor undertakes to carry the cost of transporting it there.
For local doctors, nurses, scientists and counsellors to be able to run Low Cost IVF Clinics they need to be adequately trained. Donors can offer to send experts to a selected site to provide training there or they can sponsor a health care professional to travel to an established IVF centre for training.
BILL OF RIGHTS
Philanthropy is based on voluntary action for the common good. It is a tradition of giving and sharing that is fundamental to the quality of life. To assure that philanthropy merits the respect and trust of the general public, and that donors and prospective donors can have full confidence in not-for-profit organizations and causes they are asked to support, Low Cost IVF declares that all donors have these rights:
• to be informed of the organization’s mission, of the way the organization intends to use donated resources, and of its capacity to use donations effectively for their intended purposes.
• to have access to the organization’s most recent financial statements.
• to be assured their gifts will be used for the purposes for which they were given.
• to receive appropriate acknowledgement and recognition.
• to feel free to ask questions when making a donation and to receive prompt, truthful and forthright answers